Monday, July 30, 2007

Jeremy Bloom can play. It is time to take him seriously.

Oh, just a little article about me on

After just a weekend at camp.

I am the best receiver.

Is their still time to vote for me for the 75th Anniversary All-Time Eagles Team?

Peace.

Time To Say It: Bloom Is A Football Player


With every route he runs and every catch he makes and every lap he runs after practice, Jeremy Bloom takes another step toward erasing the doubts. He is a football player now, full fledged, and the idea that Bloom is a Jeremy-come-lately to the game, a crossover athlete more suited to a pin-up poster than a sharp "out" pattern is fading, fading gone.



Now, I know this could be construed in some circles as early-training camp poppycock. It was hot as a deep-Southern kitchen on Saturday afternoon at Lehigh University, so maybe the sultry day got to me a little bit. But I don't think so. I think what I've seen since the spring, even before that, is legitimate.

Jeremy Bloom can play.

He has come a long way since last year, when the curiosity factor with Bloom was high. A world-class skiing career over, Bloom hastily joined the ranks of NFL wannabes when he took part in the Combine, ran well enough to be taken seriously and then was drafted by the Eagles in the fifth round last April.

After that? Bloom couldn't get his body right all spring and summer. He was a skier trying to navigate the most difficult of moguls in a world of grown men who had been playing the game their whole lives. Who did Bloom think he was, having not played for two full seasons, looking to dent the roster of a team that would win 10 games and capture the NFC East and then advance two rounds deep into the playoffs?

"I've always loved football, even when I was skiing," he said. "I would have continued playing at Colorado if the NCAA permitted. Rules are rules. I didn't agree with it, but I pursued my Olympic dream. Coming to the Eagles was a great opportunity, but it takes time to get the body right again. Last year was a learning experience in a lot of ways."

This Bloom is a totally different person, a totally different player. He starred throughout the spring and he stood out – heads and shoulders among the receivers – on Saturday. Given the picture in front of Bloom, it is certainly much more plausible to think he will have a chance to impact the Eagles this year as a return man and even – and it is wayyyy early to say this, but I will anyway – as part of packages in the offense as a receiver.

What separates Bloom from the pack at this point is his quickness. He is startling quick, with a burst that is completely legitimate. Bloom is the team's leading candidate to return punts and kickoffs and if he continues to progress at wide receiver, he could have a role there, too.

In the past year, Bloom has rebuilt his body and re-trained his muscles. He ran a 4.49 at the Combine and now thinks he is down in the high 4.2's or low 4.3's now. He is stronger, more physically prepared for the rigors of the NFL game. All of the technical things, the footwork and the hand placements and the instincts, they have returned. His bench press has increased from 285 pounds to 315 pounds.

Mentally? No comparison. He understands the concepts of the offense, and he has studied route running thoroughly although Bloom readily admits that he has a long, long way to go to get to where he wants to be on the field.

"I'm not where I was last year, for sure, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to where I want to be, or where I know I can be," said Bloom. "I feel I have a lot to improve on. I'm happy with where I'm at, and the year I put in, all the work I did, has paid off. I'm prepared for this. I'm much more comfortable on the field.

"I am far from relaxing. This is day one. We have a long way to go."

Bloom stood out on several occasions on Saturday. He ran a couple of option routes over the middle and froze linebacker Stewart Bradley in his tracks. Bradley actually showed a lot of athletic ability on the play, hanging with Bloom on a shallow crossing route, but once Bloom gave him the shake and bake, a stutter step to the right and then a move back to the left, Bradley was in the dust. Any linebacker would be wasted on that play. That is how quick Bloom is. That is how much of a mismatch it is to have him in space.

In the afternoon, Bloom was on the receiving end of a perfect pass from Kevin Kolb. Bloom ran a 'go' route against cornerback Nick Graham, who was off in coverage. Graham tried to force Bloom off his route, but Bloom stayed true and blew past Graham, hauled in Kolb's throw and the crowd at Lehigh University erupted.

There are certainly no guarantees here. Bloom has to stay healthy and he has to convince the coaching staff that he can be trusted in the return game. The young man is suddenly "the guy" with Bethel Johnson now in Houston with the Texans. The Eagles are looking at others in the return scenario, but Bloom is the one they hope rises.

Next up for Bloom is contact. He will see it at wide receiver next week, his first substantive contact since his collegiate days. Last year, Bloom was healthy for only a handful of practices and saw limited time in the preseason against Baltimore.

"I know what it's like to get hit," said Bloom. "I know how I will react to it. It's part of the game. I'm looking forward to it. Every day brings something new and that is exciting for me.

No comments: